Sunday, August 21, 2011

A day of art in Chicago

Friday my friend Coree and I made the trek to Chicago mainly to see the Ralph Eugene Meatyard exhibit. I'm a huge fan of Meatyard's work and feel a bit of a kindred spirit with him based on reading about his inspiration and process. I too find most of my inspiration through literature more than visual art. He found equal inspiration from philosophy and literature. Interesting to also find out that he often reacted in an improvisational style heavily influenced by the jazz musicians of his time. A statement I can relate to based on my own process of discovery and execution. It was great to see these images in person to not only see the beauty and sensitivity he brought to his subjects but the quality of the printing. I was amazed at the highly technical and gorgeous tonal information in every photograph.




We saw some amazing work at the Art Institute of Chicago, a few galleries and the Museum of Contemporary Photography. MoCP currently has an excellent exhibition called "Our Origins". Sixteen artists express this concept in sixteen unique representations. Once I saw Alison Carey's work on the second floor of the gallery I instantly fell in love with her vision and execution.



What a great way to spend a Friday recharging your creative batteries.




No comments:

Post a Comment