Friday, March 8, 2013

Color Rush: 75 Years of Color Photography in America

I saw the Color Rush exhibit today at the Milwaukee Art Museum. Since my initial interest in photography was in/as a commercial-advertising photographer I really appreciated seeing all of those early ad and magazine references. Other than the beautiful more traditional portraits by both Stieglitz and Steichen, these images are my favorite from the exhibition.

Harlem Number, Anton Bruehl, 1943 carbo print

Roddy McDowall as Ariel, Eliot Elisofon, 1957 dye transfer

Summer Sleep, Irving Penn, 1949

I was also interested in researching Bruce Nauman's series, "Eleven Color Photographs" that depict visuals of common phrases. I wish that the show would have shown a few more of Cindy Sherman's color work but it is a very nice exhibit.



No comments:

Post a Comment